Tuesday, 18 October 2011

Our little calf herder

I wish I had the camera outside with me - we've just finished herding 13 of our calves (that are newly weaned) ready to take them to a paddock on another property. We had the help of our friendly neighbours, and of course Liam flew out the door, grabbed his boots and said "I'm going too mum", I replied that I would be out in a minute (having just finished tea). By the time I got out there Liam was down in the paddock with our neighbours "helping" with the calves. :-)

We got them into the cattle yards, with Liam following behind the calves clapping his hands and yelling "come on, get up!" (with the encouragement of our nieghbour!!) ... very amusing... Liam continued his calf herding in the yards, as we attempted to get the calves into the trailer, a couple of times despite being reminded to stay behind the calves he moved in front of them sending them running off around him! Eventually I encouraged Liam to come over to me (out of the way holding a gate), however Liam then quite fervently stated "but mum, it's my job!", "it's my job!" and climbed back over the fence to get back in and help with the calves.... luckily by that point there were only 2 more to get into the trailer! :-)

Well done our little calf herder - our 3 year old mini farmer :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment